06 January 2012

New Year Festivities

The following are a selection of photos from my New Year celebrations in Mongolia.
These first few are from my work's New Years Party (New Years here is like our Christmas; they even use Christmas carols and pop songs-especially those performed by Wham and Mariah Carey, and there is even a Mongolian santa-see photo below) to celebrate the New Year. This was a very special event for all, with prizes to be won. I am usually very unlucky when it comes to raffles but this time round I was fortunate enough to win something. And this something was a printer (!?!).

These next lot of photos are from New Years Eve on Suhbaatar Square in central Ulaanbaatar. There was a promise of the longest fireworks display in Mongolian history, and they did not disappoint. I went a bit crazy with photos, so this is just a very small percentage of those I actually took! The second photo is that of the President of Mongolia making his New Years speech. They didn't time it very well as the speech went past midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment